Chicken Nuggets is always a high winner with kids. Even a picky-eater will gulp down all those nuggets!!! Can be packed for their lunch-box and picnics too. Adults also love chicken nuggets as they are very tempting, addictive and make a popular snack/appetizers. Brine the chicken nuggets to make it tender, juicy, flavourful and then deep-fry in oil, preferably, peanut/groundnut oil. The nuggets taste perfect on its own, can have it with ketchup or any dips of your choice.
Do not be intimidated by seeing the long recipe below. You can add any herbs/spices of your choice that is available in your kitchen. Flour can also be replaced with rice flour too. It is very quick and easy to make when all things are available on the counter-top. You can make them in batches, freeze it and deep/shallow fry it whenever required.
I do not cook deep-fried items often, however, my toddler loves chicken nuggets, both the fried version as well as the baked one. Home-made chicken nuggets are much more healthier than the store-bought ones. It’s worth the effort!
Marinated chicken in seasoned buttermilk, coated with cornflakes for crispy texture, deep-fried till crunchy from outside and juicy inside.
prep time : 10 mins, cooking time : 8 mins, serving : 4, cuisine : starters/appetizers
1 whole egg
250 gms chicken breasts
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder/paprika
½ tsp chilly powder/cayenne pepper (optional)
½ tsp fine garlic paste
salt to taste
1/4 cup buttermilk
herbs of your choice (I mixed pinch of dried herbs like thyme, basil, oregano, parsley)
2 tbsp flour/maida
pinch of salt, chilly powder and pepper powder
½ cup cornflakes
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
a pinch of salt and pepper
1. Clean/cut chicken breasts into half inch strips and then cut them further into bite sized pieces. Place them in a large bowl, add chilly powders, herbs, garlic paste, salt and buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for minimum 2 hours or overnight, preferably.
2. Take a small bowl, add flour/maida, salt, chilly and pepper powders.* Keep aside.
3. Into a separate bowl, crack one egg. Whisk it by adding little milk or water**. Keep aside (egg wash).
4. The next step is to take cornflakes in a plate, crush them with your hands. Add grated cheddar cheese, season it with salt and pepper.***
1. Dredge the marinated chicken pieces in the flour mixture*
2. Dip it in the egg wash**, quickly removing it.
3. Coat it with the cornflakes mixture***
Shake of the excess and place them on a plate. Repeat process with the entire batch.
Take a kadai/heavy bottom pan. Into this, add enough oil about 2″ deep. Once oil heats up, (check by adding a cornflake if it sizzles, then it’s ready) carefully, add the coated chicken pieces few at a time, frying on medium heat till crispy turning the chicken pieces, as they become golden brown.
Using a slotted spoon, remove and transfer the fried chicken nuggets to a kitchen towel lined plate.
Serve and enjoy every bite with your favourite dip!!!
while making it in huge quantities, do in batches
it is necessary to brine chicken so that it does not dry out as it cooks
it should be crispy and crunchy from outside and juicy/moist from inside
herbs like fresh coriander leaves, mint leaves etc can be added
it is important to maintain the heat temperature while frying :
– too much hot, the chicken will burn and will be raw from inside
– too cold, the chicken will not be crunchy/crispy enough. it will be greasy and will not be flavourful
cutting the chicken into bite sized pieces, allows it to cook through. large pieces can be raw inside
frying process of the chicken nuggets in a preheated oil will take around 7 to 8 mins
if preparing it for kids, reduce the salt content
I have made the baked version too; equally delicious! shall put it in my future posts